Five People Transported to Everett Hospital for Elevated Carbon Monoxide Levels

Share

Everett, WA –  Sunday morning, February 11, 2018, at 06:30 a.m., the Everett Fire Department responded to the 200 block of 99th Pl SW for a report of people sickened due to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Firefighters arrived to find a generator running inside a closed garage to a house that did not have power. Five people were taken to Providence Regional Medical Center with elevated levels of carbon monoxide in their system.

The Everett Fire Department gave a warning about CO poisoning. Carbon monoxide can be an invisible killer as it is an odorless, colorless gas that is produced when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. Some potential sources of carbon monoxide fumes can come from vehicles, small engines, generators, stoves, lanterns, grills and BBQ’s, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. Often reported as “flu-like” symptoms, common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.

People can help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in their home by installing carbon monoxide detectors in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home. Like smoke detectors, test them each month, and change the batteries every six months.

Items, such as generators, should always be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings.

Be the first to comment on "Five People Transported to Everett Hospital for Elevated Carbon Monoxide Levels"

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: