Mount Vernon, WA – On Tuesday, September 26th, 2017, at approximately 10:29 p.m., Mount Vernon Police and Mount Vernon Fire along with Burlington Fire Department were called to a reported structure fire in the area of S. 1st Street and Pine Square in Downtown Mount Vernon.
On Arrival, crews located a fire in the doorway of 314 Pine Street, the entrance to Gilbert and Gilbert Law.
According to a press release from Lieutenant Greg Booth with the Mount Vernon Police Department, the Fire was quickly brought under control by firefighters, limiting the amount of Damage to the physical structure. Unfortunately, the fire accessed the electrical panel creating a short in the wiring throughout the entire building. Additional smoke damage occurred in several business suites. Loss estimates are undetermined at this time. The building was unoccupied at the time of the fire and no injuries have been reported.
While investigators were on-scene at the original fire, reports came in of a second fire in the alleyway behind 615 S. 1st Street. Investigators located burned contents of a small dumpster at that location. The fire was contained to the dumpster, with no significant damage.
Both fires are of suspicious nature, and Mount Vernon Police are assisting the Mount Vernon Fire Department with the investigation.
We are asking anyone with information that might be related to the fire to contact the Mount Vernon Police Department by calling (360) 336-6271. You can also call the non emergency 24-hours police dispatch line at (360) 428-3211 or submit an online tip by visiting www.mountvernonwa.gov/crimetip.